The chapter having twelve sections, one hundred eleven verses five
hundred thirty three words and three thousand four hundred sixty
letters was revealed at Mecca. Ibne Masood says that chapters 17th
to 21st are of early revelation, and they are the ones that he committed
to memory first. This chapter is known as Isra and Subhan too. But
the very first verse proves that it was revealed after Miraj (the
Ascension of the Prophet). After mentioning the Ascension Miraj,
the entire chapter mostly deals with the children of Israel as many
prophets were sent towards them for their reform, but they did not
care for them, but rather ridiculated, tortured and made fun of
them. They did not obey them properly, so they faced humiliation
and disgrace. Whenever the Israelis were bestowed power, honour
and wealth, they became arrogant and rebelled against the prophets
sent towards them. But when they crossed every limit of good behaviour
and decency, Allah punished them severely. Such rulers were established
over them that they debased them and ruined them completely and
made them subservient and slave. Now again they are warned by sending
this last prophet and they are advised to obey him and submit to
him completely otherwise the law of retribution would again operate.
In this chapter the principles for establishing an Islamic society
are clearly mentioned. Islam was to emerge as an organized forceful
power. The prophet proved it by establishing Islamic Government
in Madina just after one year of revelation of this chapter.
The chapter mentions a challenge of the devil who dared to say that
he would mislead the human - being whom Allah have bestowed and
have made them object of prostration. The challenge was accepted,
and the devil was allowed to do his job as Allah declared that the
devil can not deceive or deviate from the right path those who are
His true servants and bondmen.
This chapter begins with a great miracle of prophet Muhammad (sallal
laho alaihe wasallam) Miraj (Ascension). He was taken , Mecca to
Baitui Maqdis in sacred night of 27th Rajab the 7th month of Hijra
calendar. The prophet lead the prayer of prophets who were assembled
there and then afterwards, he was taken above bodily and visited
all the seven heavens and then crossed every barrier and reached
to the Sublime Throne where he talked directly to Allah Who bestowed
him immense knowledge and taught him what, He desired to be taught.
In this journey he was shown every hidden thing, the paradise, hell,
and the bridge providing approach to paradise etc.
This story of Ascension has been mentioned in chapter fifty three
'The Star" too, but details have been given in the traditions
of the Prophet. (Ahadith)
Abdullah Yousuf Ali says "The reference to this great mystic
story of the Miraj is a fitting prelude to the journey of the human
soul in its spiritual growth in life. The first steps in such growth
must be through moral conduct-the reciprocal rights of parents and
children, kindness to our fellow men, courage and firmness in the
hour of danger, a sense of God's presence through prayer and praise
(The meaning of glorious Quran) page 381. These things have been
mentioned in the chapter.
It has been narrated in the qualities of this chapter that if a
boy stupid and block-headed or he be a lisping, then this chapter
would be written with saffron and musk and be caused to drink to
the boy. This will open his mind and he would become eloquent.
SURAH BANI-ISRAEL (The Children of Israel)
Reaveled in Mecca, 12 Sections, 111 Verses.
Allah in the name of the Most Affectionate, the Merciful.
1. Holy is He Who carried His bondman by night from the sacred Mosque
to the Aqsa Mosque (Aqsa) around which We have put blessings that
We might show him Our grand signs. No doubt, He is the Hearing,
2. And We gave Musa the Book and made it a guidance to the children
of Israel that take not any other as disposer of affairs besides
3. O: You the offspring of those whom We bore with Nuh. No doubt.
He was a great thankful by man.
4. And We revealed to the children of Israel in the Book that certainly,
you shall create mischief in the earth for the second time and necessarily
you shall be proud excessively.
5. Then when the promise of first time came to them, We sent against
you Our bondmen as the strong warrior, then they entered into the
cities for your search, and it was a promise to be fulfilled.
6. Then We made your attack turned over them and helped you with
wealth and sons and increased your band in number.
7. If you will do good will do for yourself and if you will do bad,
it will be for you. Then when the promise of the second time came
that the enemies might deface your faces, and enter into the Mosque
as they had entered it first time and may destroy utterly whatsoever
may fall under their power.
8. It is near that y our Lord may show His Mercy over you and if
you again create mischief, then We shall again turn towards Our
torment. And We have made the Hell a prison for the infidels.
9. No doubt, this Quran shows that path which is straightest and
gives good tidings to the believers who do good deeds that they
shall have a great reward.
10. And that those who do not believe in the Hereafter, We have
prepared for them a painful torment.
11. And the man prays for bad as he prays for good. And the man
is very hasty.
12. And We made night and day, as two signs, then put the signs
of the night blotted and the sign of the day shining. that you may
seek grace of Allah and that you may know the numbering of years,
and the reckoning. And We have explained well every thing separately.
13. And We have tied to his neck the destiny of every man. And We
shall bring out for him on the Day of Judgement a writing, which
he will find wide open.
14. It will be said to him, read your book. Today you yourself are
good for your reckoning.
15. Whosoever came to guidance, he came to guidance for his own
good, and whosoever strayed, he strayed for his own evil. And no
soul-bearing burden will bear the burden of another. And We are
not to torment until We have sent a messenger.
16. And when We intend to destroy any town, We send Our Commands
to its well-to-do people, then they disobey therein, then the word
is fulfilled on them, and then We destroy it with complete ruination.
17. And many a generation We have destroyed after Nuh. And your
Lord is sufficient as being Aware and Seer of the sins of His bondmen.
18. Whosoever desires this I hastily world, We soon give him in
it whatever We please to whom We intend; then We assign to him the
hell, wherein l he will enter despised, being kicked.
19. And whosoever intends the Hereafter and strives therefor as
it should be striven for and he is a believer, then their striving
20. We do extend Our help to all--these as well as those out of
the bestowing of your Lord. And there is no check on the bestowing
of your Lord.
21. See you! How We have preferred one to the other? And without
doubt, the Hereafter is greatest in degrees and greatest in preferment
22. O listener! Set up not another god with Allah lest you will
remain sitting down despised and helpless.
23. And your Lord Commanded that worship not any else excepts Him
and does good to parents. If either or both of them reach old age
before you, utter not even a faint cry to them and chide them not
and peak to them the word of respect.
24. And spread for them the arm of humility with tender heart and
say, 'O my Lord; have mercy on these both as they both brought me
up in my childhood.
25. Your Lord knows well what is in your hearts, if you be righteous,
then no doubt. He is Forgiving to those who repent.
26. And give kinsmen their right and to the needy and the traveler
and spend not extravagantly.
27. No doubt, the extravagants are the brothers of the Devils (Satan).
And the devil is very ungrateful to his Lord.
28. If you turn your face from them in seeking the mercy of your
Lord for which you have hope, then speak to them a gentle word.
29. And keep not your hand tied with your neck, nor open it completely
lest you sit down, blamed, tired.
30. No doubt, your Lord extends the provision for whom He pleases
and He straitens. No doubt, He knows well, sees His bondmen.
31. And kill not your children for fear of poverty; We shall provide
them and you too. No doubt, their murder is a great error.
32. And approach not adultery, undoubtedly that is immodesty and
a very vile path.
33. And kill not any soul. Which Allah has forbidden without right.
And whoso is killed without right, then undoubtedly We have given
authority to his heirs, but he should not exceed the limit in killing.
Necessarily he is to be helped.
34. And approach not the property of the orphan, but by a way, which
is best. Until he reaches his maturity and fulfils the promise,
undoubtedly the promise is to be questioned of.
35. And measure full when you measure. And weigh with an even balance.
This is better and its end is good.
36. And go not after that thing of which you know not. No doubt,
the ear and the eye and the heart all are to be questioned of.
37. And walk not in the earth boastfully, undoubtedly, you shall
never cleave the earth, and shall never reach to the mountains in
38. The evil thing of all these is not liked by your Lord
39. This is of those revelations, which your Lord has sent to you
of wisdom. And O listener; set not another god with Allah lest you
be thrown in the hell taunted, being kicked.
40. Has your Lord picked you for sons and made for Himself daughters
from the angels? No doubt, you speak boastfully.
41. And no doubt, We explained in this Quran variedly that they
might understand. And nothing is increased in them by it but hatted.
42. Say you, If there had been other gods with Him as they say,
then they would have sought out any way towards the Owner of the
43. Holy, and Exalted is He, He is High above of what they say.
44. The seven heavens and earth and whoever is in it speak of His
Glory. And there is nothing, which might not speak of His Glory
praising Him; yes you understand not their glorification. No doubt,
He is Forbearing, Forgiving.
45. And O beloved! When you recited Quran, We placed between you
and those who do not believe in the Hereafter a hidden veil.
46. And We have put coverings over their hearts lest they should
understand it and in their ears a heaviness. And when you remember
in Quran your Lord alone, they run away fuming their back hatefully.
47. We know well for what they hear, when they put their ears towards
you and when they counsel together when the unjust say, 'you follow
not but such a man who has been enchanted.
48. See, how they have profounded similitudes for you, then they
have gone astray that they cannot get a way.
49. And say, what! When we shall become bones and broken particles,
shall we be raised really as new creation?
50. Say you, be stones or iron.
51. Or any other creation which may be bigger in your thinking,
then now they will say, 'Who will create us again. Say you, 'He
Who created' you for the first time, now then they will say shaking
their heads, jesting towards you, when it is, Say you, perhaps it
may be near.
52. The day when He will call you, then you will come praising Him
and will think that you tarried not but little.
53. And say to My bondmen that they should speak that which is best.
No doubt, the devil (Satan) provokes strife among them. Verily the
devil is an open enemy to man.
54. Your Lord knows you well, He will have mercy upon you if He
please, or He will torment you if He please. And We have not sent
you as guardian over them.
55. And your Lord knows well those that are in the heavens and in
the earth. And undoubtedly' We preferred one over the other in prophets
and gave to Daud a Scripture (Zaboor).
56. Say you, call them whom you think besides Allah. then they have
no authority to remove affliction from you nor to avert it.
57. Those chosen bondmen whom these infidels worship, they themselves
seek access towards their Lord that who is nearer to Him in them,
they hope for His mercy and fear His torment. No doubt. The torment
of your Lord is a thing to be feared.
58. And there is no town but that We shall destroy it before the
Day of Judgement or will torment it severely. This IS written down
in the Book
59. And We abstained from sending such signs because the former
people belied them. And We gave to Thamud a she camel as an eye-opener.
Then they wronged her, And We send not such signs but to frighten.
60. And when We said to you, all are under the control of your Lord.
And We made not the vision which We had showed you but as a test
for the people and also the tree upon which there is curse in Quran.
And We frighten them; then nothing increases them but a great contumacy.
61. And when We commanded angels to prostrate before Adam, then
they prostrated except the Iblis. He said, shall I prostrate before
him whom you have made of clay?
62. He said, see You, this whom You have honored above me, if You
will grant me time till the Day of Judgement then I shall assuredly
crush his children but a few.
63. He said, get away, therefore whoso of them will follow you,
then the recompense of all is Hell, a full punishment.
64. And stagger whosoever of them you can with your voice and mobilize
against them your horsemen and your footmen and share with them
in their wealth and their children and promise them. And the devil
(Satan) promises them not but with delusion.
65. No doubt those who are My bondmen, you have no control over
them. And your Lord suffices as guardian.
66. Your Lord is He who speeds for you the ship in the sea, so that
you may seek His grace. No doubt He is Merciful to you.
67. And when any trouble approaches you in the sea, then all whom
they worship are lost except He. Then when He delivers you towards
land, then you turn away your faces. And the man is very ungrateful.
68. Have you then become fearless of that He may cause to sink the
shore of the land with you or send you stone storm; then you will
find no supporter for yourself.
69. Or have you become fearless of that He may carry you back in
the sea for the second time, then send you a ship breaking storm-blast
then He may cause you to drown because of your infidelity, then
you will not find anyone who may pursue against Us?
70. And no doubt, We honored the children of Adam and got them ride
in the land and sea and provided them with clean things and preferred
them over many of Our creations.
71. The day when We shall call every people. With their leaders,
then whosoever is given his record in h is right hand, they shall
read their records and their rights shall not be suppressed a single
72. And whosoever be blind in this world, he is blind in the Hereafter,
and even more astray from the way.
73. And indeed it was near that they would have seduced you from
Our revelation sent to you, that you might relate something other
than that towards Us, and if it would have been so then they would
have certainly taken you as their fast friend.
74. And if We had not kept you firm, then it was near that, you
would have inclined towards them a little.
75. And if it would have been so, then We would have let you taste
the double life and double death, then you would not have found
any helper against Us.
76. And undoubtedly, it was near that they might startle you from
this land so that they might oust, you therefrom and if it had been
so, then they would not have stayed after you but a little.
77. The tradition of those whom We sent before you as messenger
and you would not find Our law changing.
78. Establish prayer from declining of the sun till. the darkening
of the night and the Quran of the dawn. No doubt, angles are present
in the Quran of the dawn.
79. And offer Tahajjud (a prayer preferably in the later part of
the night after waking up from sleep) in some portion of the night,
this is specially for you in addition. It is near that your Lord
may make you stand at a place where all should praise you.
80. And submit like this, 'O my Lord, make me enter with a just
entering and make me go forth with a just going and grant me from
Yourself a helping control.
81. And say, 'The truth has come, and falsehood vanished. Undoubtedly
the falsehood was certain to vanish.
82. And We send down in Quran that which is a healing and a mercy
to the believers; and it adds loss only to the unjust.
83. And when We bestow favour on man, he turns away his face and
moves far away towards himself, and when evil touches him then he
84. Say, All act in their own Manner. Then your Lord Knows well
who is best guided.
85. And they ask you about the spirit. Say, The spirit is a thing
by the command of my Lord and you did not receive knowledge but
86. And if We pleased, We cold take away that We have revealed to
you, then youwould have found none to plead for you before Us.
87. But mercy from your Lord. Undoubtedly His grace you to you is
88. Say you, if the men and Jinn all agreed together to King the
like thereof, though in them one may be helper of other.
89. And undoubtedly, We have in this Quran described every kind
of saying in various ways, then most of the men accepted nothing
but being ungrateful.
90. And they said, we shall never believe you unless you cause a
spring to gush forth for us from the earth.
91. Or you have a garden of date palms and vines, then you cause
springs to gush forth.
92. Or you may cause the heaven to fall upon us in pieces as you
have asserted, or bring Allah and the angels as surety,
93. Or you have a house of gold or you ascend up into heaven and
we shall never believe even after your ascending up until you send
down to us, a book that we may read. Say you, 'Glory be to my Lord?
Who am I but a man sent by Allah.
94. And what -prevented men from believing when the guidance came
to them, but this that they said, Has Allah sent down a man as Messenger?
95. Say you, If there would have been angels in the earth walking
about in peace' then We would have certainly sent down an angel
as Messenger to them.
96. Say you, sufficient is Allah for a witness between me and you,
undoubtedly He knows and sees His bondmen
97. And he whom Allah guides is the only on the right way, and he
whom He leads astray then for them you will not find any supporter
beside Him. And We shall raise them on the Day of Resurrection on
their faces. Blind, dumb and deaf. Their abode is Hell. Whenever
it will come to be extinguished, We shall make it to blow in flames
98. This is their punishment because they rejected Our signs and
said, 'shall when we become bones and broken particles, then shall
we really be raised up as a new creation?'
99. And whether they see not that Allah Who made heavens and earth
can make the like of them, and H has appointed for them a term in
which there is no doubt. But the unjust accept not except being
100. Say you, 'if you would have been owners of the treasures of
the mercy of my Lord, you would surely hold them back for fear of
speeding. For man was ever grudging.
101. And undoubtedly We gave nine clear signs to Musa, then ask
the children of Israel; when he came to them, then Firawn said to
him, 'O Musa, in my opinion you have been hypnotized' (be-witched).
102. He said: certainly you know well that none sent these down
except the Lord of the heavens and earth as opener of the eyes of
heart, and in my opinion, O Firawn 'You are necessarily to be ruined'.
103. Then he desired to oust them from the land then We drowned
him and all his associates.
104. And We said to the children of Israel after him, dwell in this
land, then when the promise of the Hereafter will come, We shall
bring you all rolled together.
105. And We sent down Quran with truth and it has come down for
truth and We sent you not but as the bearer of glad tidings and
106. And We sent down Quran in pieces so that you may read it to
mankind at intervals and We sent it down gradually bit by bit.
107. Say you, believe in it or believe not. Certainly, those who
got knowledge before it was sent down do fall down prostate on their
faces when it is recited to them.
108. And say, Glory be to our Lord, undoubtedly the promise of our
Lord was to be fulfilled
109. And they fall down on their faces weeping, and this Quran increases
their hearts leaning. [Prostration] (SAJDA No. 4).
110. Say, you call upon Him saying Allah or saying Rahman (Most
Affectionate) whichever you call upon, all are His good names. And
neither offers your prayer with loud voice nor with too low voice
and seeks a way in between.
111. And say, 'All praise to Allah Who has not taken Him a son and
no one is Partner in His kingdom and none is supporter of Him because
of weakness and proclaim His Greatness Magnifying.